Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What Have I Learned?

What have a learned from adoptees, birth parents, adoptive parents and my kids?

• I think the issues surrounding adoption come in many shades of grey.
• I think the voices of all adoptees should be heard. I really mean all.
• I think that all of the members of the so-called “adoption triad” should be respected, with the adoptive parent coming in third place.
• I think that we should all strive for more transparency and ethics in the adoption process, but should realize that not all countries will have the safety net, courts or foster care systems of the United States anytime soon.
• I don’t like the “rescue narrative”, but adoption often does provide for the basic needs (and more) of children who would otherwise go without.
• I think that culture is important. Very important. It is just not as important as food and shelter.
• I think I have learned more from my two kids 6.5 years on this earth than I would have leanred from 100 years of just living my own life.
• I think my feelings on adoption and raising my kids are a work in progress.

No comments: